Search This Blog

Monday, November 8, 2010

Starting a GF diet

After going to a nutritionist and a chiropractor both agreed that I was allergic to dairy and to gluten. I began a Gluten-free diet. This lasted about two weeks in 2009 and it felt good. However, I found out I was pregnant and my main craving was doughnuts, cakes, brownies, cookies, etc. I gave up on a gluten-free lifestyle.

Once our daughter was born, I decided that it was important to go back on a gluten-free diet. I am the only one in my immediate family on a gluten free diet so I had to come up with ways to incorporate "normal" foods into my routine.

Week 1: My first week I ate mainly vegetables and rice in the place of the gluten ingredients. For example, I cooked rice and served spaghetti sauce over rice, while my son and husband ate noodles and sauce. Bread for a deli sandwich was replaced by celery (wrap the lunch meat around the celery). I ate sweat potatos for dessert (and for lunch).  This week I used more whole, fresh foods that I knew didn't contain gluten. For breakfast, I stuck with Rice Chex and Rice Crispies.

Week 2 & 3: The second week, I started adding some gluten-free products. I mainly used gluten-free spaghetti noodles in the place of regular noodles. I made sure to read labels and use the gluten-free version of products like chili, refried beans, and ice creams.

*During week 2, I noticed that I had an upset stomach with peanut butter. I now do not eat peanut-based peanut-butter. I also noticed nauseau with breakfast and attributed it to the milk. I now substitute milk for soy milk.

Week 4: This week I continued many of the same meals listed above but I ventured to a gluten-free store and purchased a gluten-free Bisquick mix and my sweet husband made excellent waffles and pancakes from them. The extras I used as sandwich bread for almond butter and jelly sandwiches. I also went to a gluten-free bakery and bought some honey butter bread, which I froze most of since we'd made the waffles and pancakes. The loaf of bread was $8, by far the most I have ever spent for bread!

I think the trick to starting G-free is to start small and with basic whole foods. Then start adding a small amount of variety week by week. If you really are allergic to gluten, your stomach and intestines need to heal from the damage of years of eating gluten.

Please comment and let me know if this has been helpful. I'd like to add more things that I've added since the first month of going g-free including menus, restaurants, and bread mixes we've tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment