Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tips for Nutrionist

I wanted to jot down some quick ideas I had about seeing a nutritionist for the first time:

1-If they poke your finger and have you hold a magnetic bar in one hand, possibly reconsider. This technique is supposed to tell you what your body is allergic to and also what nutrients (and even brands of nutrients!) your body needs. I was more than slightly skeptical of the technique. I also experienced this technique in a chiropractor's office.

2-If they tell you that you need a variety of nutritional supplements, smell them before you buy them! I couldn't stand the smell of half the stuff they sold me and never used them because they were huge and smelled bad.

3-If they tell you that you are allergic to a variety of things (using previous method), get a second opinion. Although, in my case, the second opinion was a blood test of food allergies that was fairly similar to the results in the nutritionists and the chiropractors assessments.

4-After they tell you that you have said allergies, they will try to sell  you supplements to counter the allergies. Double check what they are selling you because they may not be familiar with all of the ingredients. (One of the powdered meal supplements I was sold contained barley, but I was told I was allergic to Gluten, which is often found in barley.)

5-Before they send you home with 10 bottles of pills, ask which two would be the best at prolonging your life. (I love this question, as there is no proof that any supplement, diet, or even weight range can prolong your life span.)

6-If seeing a chiropractor who uses what is called NAET, learn what NAET is and what it isn't. For some people, this seems to be an effective technique. Essentially, NAET has you hold a small amount of known allergen in a vial while the chiropractor presses key points in your back and then you refrain from that allergen for 25 hours and then you are cured of that allergy. In my experience, NAET would have been 20 treatments long and with a $35 co-pay that adds up. I'm sure my treatment wasn't successful because I didn't complete all of the treatments.

I think vitamins are good for some people and a waste for others. Figure out how likely you'd be to follow the suggestions before investing any money on the vitamins. For me, I had high hopes of taking them and of course sitting in front of the nutritionist I was going to give up all my vices! In reality, I haven't made many lasting changes from the appointments and find my pocket book shrinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment