Search This Blog

Monday, December 6, 2010

Grinch-ish

The First Presidency Christmas Devotional, from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints(www.lds.org) was tonight.

We rushed through dinner, family time, and traffic to drop half the family off at the door; park; run down 6 flights of stairs, walk 3 blocks, wait in line, and barely be seated before the prophet came in. My ears were cold, my feet hurt from shoes, my lungs inhaled the polution and burned.

I definately was not pleasant. I definately was not reverent in mind. I would say I was definately a little Grinchish: cursing Christmas, traditions, and all that goes with it.

I found it quite ironic that the very first speaker, President Uchtdorf spoke on how caught up we all get with the fuss and bustle of the Holiday. I felt the spirit as he invited us to relax a little and enjoy the family around us and the blessings we have .

I have been making my list, checking it over and over to ensure no one is missed. I am telling family that I am not getting them things they ask because of cost and finances. I have felt guilt at trying to cut back so I am spending more time trying to win things, cut coupons for other things, and make things.

Things. Things. Things.

None of these things will be remembered.

While I am not going to stop my effort (in the name of tradition), I am going to be more thoughtful about what I can purchase and invest my time and money in gifts that will be more memorable and meaningful.

I will report on my goal, as we get closer to Christmas. Please feel free to comment with links to your ideas on the Christmas Devotional or how your family is making the season memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment